The Board of Aldermen held a Special Meeting on April 24th at 9:30 a.m. Here are the items to note:
Oath of Office
• Town Clerk read the certified results of the November 5th election
• Town Attorney asked Mayor Pro Tem McDermon which office she selects
• Mayor Pro Tem chose the mayoral seat and effectively declined the alderman seat
• Town Clerk administered the Oath of Offices for newly elected Mayor Joann McDermon and Alderman Heid
Election of Mayor Pro Tem
• The Board appointed Alderman Mike Benson to serve as Mayor Pro Tem
• Ms. Susan Meyer will continue to serve as the citizen representative
• Mayor Pro Tem Benson will make contact with an applicant who previously applied for the Commission, and the Mayor Pro Tem will report back to the Board at their next meeting.
• Alderman Leonard was appointed to the Commission.
• Alderman Peters will serve as an alternate.
• This is a role traditionally filled by the Mayor, and as such, Mayor McDermon will be the Town’s representative on the Board.
• Eastern Carolina Council
• Staff reached out for more information on what the role entails. The discussion was tabled until that information could be compiled.
• There is now a vacancy on the Board of Aldermen. Click here for an application.
State of Emergency
• Governor Cooper extended the state of emergency, including the travel ban, through May 8th. Travel for short-term rentals is not encompassed in “essential travel.” To be in compliance with this state mandate, the short-term rental ban in North Topsail Beach will extend through May 8th. Additionally, parking will remain closed to encourage proper social distancing and mass gathering bans. The Board will continue to monitor state action and local factors to determine adjustments that are needed.