Skip to main content

Town of North Topsail Beach

North Carolina
Home  Board of Aldermen  Boards & Committees  Departments  Living Here  Playing Here  Doing Business Here  Shoreline Protection  CBRA  Flood Protection   
Building Inspections
Fire Dept
Public Works

The Town strives to provide its citizens with the highest inspection standards consistent with the adopted codes and regulations. This is accomplished through the consistent and equitable application of regulations in the built and natural environment through plans review, inspections, enforcement and the issuance of permits and licenses.

All buildings constructed within the Town of North Topsail Beach shall comply with the North Carolina Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) regulations, the Town’s CAMA Land Use Plan, the Town's Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and the North Carolina Building Code. Effective 7/1/2011 all CAMA permits will be issued through the Wilmington Division of Coastal Management office (please scroll down to the CAMA section of this page for DCM's contact information).

The Town has adopted regulations, which exceed the minimum requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), as indicated in 44 CFR Parts 59–General Provisions and 60–Criteria for Land Management and Use. If any provisions of the North Carolina Building Code or Town Code are inconsistent with any of the AEC standards, the more restrictive provision shall control. For more information regarding your property and these regulations, please contact the Town's Planning Department(910) 328-1349 ext. 27.

Before you submit your development application, you may contact the Permit Tech to schedule a pre-application meeting to discuss your project with staff.  If your dwelling is located in a subdivision/neighborhood with a homeowners association (HOA) or property owner association (POA) please make sure your plans do not conflict with HOA/POA covenants first. 


The Planning Department guides the physical development of the Town.  Examples of the department's work include implementation of the CAMA Land Use Plan; Hurricane, Storm, and Flood Preparedness Plan, administration and updating of the Zoning Ordinance and Official Zoning Map; processing of rezoning, conditional use and variance requests; review and processing of subdivisions; and support of the Planning Board and Board of Adjustment


The Zoning Administrator is charged with the enforcement of the zoning ordinance.

A valid zoning permit shall be presented with any application for a CAMA permit. No building permit shall be issued for any activity in a zoned area until such zoning permit is presented. Contact the Town's Planning Department to schedule a pre-application meeting to discuss your Zoning Permit Application.

Appeal applications are heard by the Board of Adjustment as a quasijudicial public hearing.


The Coastal Area Management Act requires permits for development in Areas of Environmental Concern (AEC). If you're planning any sort of development -- from a sandbag structure to a bridge to a condominium -- contact Jason Dail at the Division of Coastal Management's Wilmington Office (contact info below) to request a CAMA application.

Jason Dail - Field Representative

Phone # 910-796-7221

Fax# 910-395-3964 127 Cardinal Dr. Ext. Wilmington, NC28405

Even if your project does NOT require a CAMA permit, it may be subject to consistency review if a Federal Permit or License is required. Please visit Division of Coastal Management's consistency page.