Skip to main content

Town of North Topsail Beach

North Carolina
Home  Board of Aldermen  Boards & Committees  Departments  Living Here  Playing Here  Doing Business Here  Shoreline Protection  CBRA  Flood Protection   
Trash Collection
Hurricane Preparedness
Animals & Mosquitos

Animals & Mosquitos


In addition to its 11 mile shoreline, North Topsail Beach has many acres of undeveloped land and wetlands which surround residential property.  It is common for property owners, residents, and visitors to have an encounter with an animal whether it be a stray or a wild animal foraging for food or looking for a new home.  Wild animals should be admired from afar and left alone.  If you find one that is not afraid of humans, be very cautious as this could be a sign of rabies. 


Mosquitos are also a common occurrence in this area.  The Town performs mosquito control measures during certain times of the year and will respond to requests from property owners. 


Below is some contact information for assistance with animals and mosquitos:


Onslow County Animal Control- 910-455-0182  - Call first if rabies is suspected. Call for stray dogs and cats.


Operation Top Cat - 910-328-4769


Onslow County Wildlife Officer- Barbara Marshburn ( or 910-333-2951


Marine Fisheries- 1-800-682-2632


Sea Turtle Rescue (Topsail Island) - 910-470-2880 or 910-328-1000 (24/7)

                                                              910-328-3377 (Turtle Hospital)


Marine Mammal Stranding Response Contacts for SE North Carolina


Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary- 910-326-6432 - Will transport and treat sick or injured birds and other wildlife.  


Shark Brochure



Contact the Town of North Topsail Beach for the following:


Mosquito Control Request - Please fill out this form and fax or email to contacts listed on the form.


Animal Carcasses - Contact Public Works at 910-328-5297 if the carcass is located on the beach strand, in the roads or right-of-way within the Town, or if it is located in a Town-owned parking lot or park.  If the animal shows signs of rabies (foaming at the mouth), please call Animal Control (910-455-0182).




For wildlife occupying private property: